Old 13-03-2007, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hugh_j hugh_j is offline

Default Google groups Kill file

hugh_j wrote:
Dave Hill wrote:
On 9 Mar, 13:33, "La Puce" wrote:
On 9 Mar, 13:15, "Dave Hill" wrote: I
have just found that there is a new Kill file for Google groups that
you can down load.
Go to the following and then do a search for Killfile
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/Goo...ps-Guide?hl=en
And it Works

Did you use this?http://www.penney.org/ggkiller.html

One needs Grease monkey o.6.4 and Firefox. Java Script seems to have a
bug (on that download). Have you tried it and it worked? It says that
it works on the titles but not on the topics. You still can see their
messages! Also it says that if someone replies to the troll the
message will no longer be blocked as the authors name will change. So
it's quite a difficult way around it.

Though it does say not to feed the trolls, which is the only reliable
way on google I've found.

I use Firefox so that's no problem, I find it does a good job in
sorting out trash , though some still gets through, but after 2 weeks
in Malta at the start of last month I got home to almost 3000 items of
mail, and of that all but 200 were marked as junk.
I have only had the killfile on today, but so far it is working, even
if you have to re kill sometimes it will still be better than nothing.
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

I think that's caused by putting your real address on newsgroups. I hope
I am not stating the obvious. When I used my real address some years
ago on usenet I started to collect spam, and I am still getting it to
this day on every address I posted with on usenet. Once the address is
compromised it never stops.
Now I have to have a set of email addresses that I never give out except
to specific people and places, and bin the rest. I get about 135 spam a
day on two domains and they go straight to /dev/null on this system
which is sendmail on a Unix server with an aliases file.
Maybe I am speaking a different computer language to yours here.
To get the corporate message across one could simply add a signature at
the bottom of the message with a domain name leading to a message box in
there somewhere comme ca:

http://www.wildpoppy.com
Some bloke writing.

Since I wrote this someone has launched a dictionary attack agsinst me
which means I am getting a spam every ten seconds addressed to
anyoldcombinationofletters@thisdomain!
Serves me right.
I wonder who could be the one doing it ... ?

--
http://www.wildpoppy.com/wordpress