Old 13-03-2007, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default A nice surprise

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 13, 12:25 am, "Des Higgins" wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message

ps.com...

Over the last two week ends, I have been back in the garden tidying
and preparing for later planting.
One of the jobs was to remove plants which were abandoned to the very
wet (and mucky) winter by this here fair weather gardener.
I had 1/2 a row of salsify still in the ground, and figured though
they probably would be terribly woody by now, it might just be worth
cleaning out the roots and seeing what could be salvaged. Well, after
nearly 10 months in the ground, including the entire winter, they are
still quite delicious.

Kewl!!!
Are these the parsnip shaped yokes? I have seen pictures but never in
the
flesh so to speak.
How do you cook them and how did you grow them?
I have eaten what were called Schwartzwurzel (black root) in Germany
which
are alslo sometimes called Salsify and which I would like to grow but
they
sound fussy. They have long snake like black roots. The parsnip shaped
ones are easier to grow I think but I have never tried to grow either.

They are most definitely not fussy to grow - hell, I'm growing them!!
Enough said.
I sowed them some time in late spring last year (sorry, I don't keep a
record of what I do in the garden, which is highly dilettantish of me,
I know), and did nothing further. They grew happily, and as I've just
discovered, can be left in the ground till you're ready to eat them -
including right through the winter and into spring.
I got the seeds in Lidl. I think mine are scorzonera rather than
salsify - which was the name we used to give them when I was a kid.

Ahhhhh; that's what I was calling Schwartzwurzel. I had read that they were
fussy. Ok, I will give em a try.
In the canteen in the place I worked in Germany, you would get them as a
vegetable (I think fried in butter) and they were delicious. Here, I have
done em in breadcrumbs; short sections deep fried as fritters after
blanching. LIDL? Ok so. Ta,

Des