Old 13-03-2007, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default A nice surprise

On 13 Mar, 13:43, madgardener wrote:
Des Higgins wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message
ups.com...
Over the last two week ends, I have been back in the garden tidying
and preparing for later planting.
One of the jobs was to remove plants which were abandoned to the very
wet (and mucky) winter by this here fair weather gardener.
I had 1/2 a row of salsify still in the ground, and figured though
they probably would be terribly woody by now, it might just be worth
cleaning out the roots and seeing what could be salvaged. Well, after
nearly 10 months in the ground, including the entire winter, they are
still quite delicious.

Kewl!!!
Are these the parsnip shaped yokes? I have seen pictures but never in the
flesh so to speak.
How do you cook them and how did you grow them?
I have eaten what were called Schwartzwurzel (black root) in Germany which
are alslo sometimes called Salsify and which I would like to grow but they
sound fussy. They have long snake like black roots. The parsnip shaped
ones are easier to grow I think but I have never tried to grow either.

Des

P.S. I ordered jerusalem artichokes from Dobies and assumed they had
forgottten or would not deliver to Ireland but the parcel arrived today. 20
tubers; so here goes.

I still have half a row of kohlrabi to tackle, and I am wondering
whether to chuck those directly onto the compost heap - they too have
been in the ground for the last 10 months or so...

Cat(h)

just a warning to you, Cat......Jerusalem artichokes are sunflower-like
plants and here in Eastern Tennessee, they get HUGE! advice? (excuse my
being forward) give them plenty of room...........(they're yummy though!
I get my roots from the ones in the store) madgardener up on the
ridge, back in Fairy Holler,overlooking English Mountain in Eastern
Tennessee, where Spring is WAY too EARLY this year

I got my Jerusalem artichokes when I was out in Malta, I paid 35c per
Kilo, I got 30 tubers to grow and cost 40c thats just over 65p.
I was growing them before but in 2 years Badgers managed to dig out
every one, same as last year they removed a 20 ft row of carrots in 1
night.
I have watered around Sweetcorn with Armilatox to detere them and it
works, but it's to strong to put near root veg.
Regarding Scozonera (vegetable oyster) and salsify I grew these first
in the early 60's and found them both to fiddly to prepare, though
nice.
Also grew Okra (Ladies fingers), green peppers, aubergines with
moderate to fair success.
In those days they were thought to be "Queer gear" in the trade

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries