Old 13-03-2007, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default A nice surprise

On 13 Mar, 16:22, "Dave Hill" wrote:
Regarding Scozonera (vegetable oyster) and salsify I grew these first
in the early 60's and found them both to fiddly to prepare, though
nice.

Nothing fiddly about salsifi! I grew up on salsifi fritters. Just peel
them like you would parsnip, cut them in slices and throw them in cold
water with a bit of vinegar. Then do a 'blanc', (not sure how we say
this) it's boiled water with salt and mix a tea spoon of flour in
water and throw this in the boiling water and cook the salsifi in
there for about 40 minutes (depending how fat the slices are). Then do
the fritter batter and dip each salsifi in the batter, fry and eat
with a little mayo, yum yum ;o) You follow this with apple friters and
it's a kid's feast!