Old 13-03-2007, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Will Wilkinson Will Wilkinson is offline

Default ? Chemical Control of Carrot Fly

In message . com,
" writes
We have been unable to grow carrots on our heavy clay soil but this
year we have prepared a special bed and hopefully they will grow.

When we lived in the City, we had a problem with carrot fly, is there
a chemical product we can buy to control this or is there a proven
method that works without the use of chemicals?

Judith

Not a chemical control, but my Father used to have a lot of trouble with
carrot root fly until he started using old coffee grounds a couple of
years ago. He collects the spent grounds from the coffee shop in his
local Sainsburys when he's shopping - just leaves them a clean bucket
when he goes in and collects it, full of grounds, on his way out. Then
liberally spreads the grounds round the carrot plants, it seems to work
very well - now that I've got myself an allotment I'll be trying it too.

HTH

Will
--
lancre dot net - The personal domain of Will and Cath Wilkinson.
Send e-mail to news dot will at lancre dot net