Old 13-03-2007, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Identify a gift plant

sam writes
igtodd wrote:
Hi
Could anyone help me identify a plant that was given to me as a
gift?
A photo is at
http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~it/DSC02278.jpg
It grows lots of little plantlets on the edges of the leaves!
Thanks
Ian

Looks to me like a Christmas Rose, Ian.Worth keeping.

Nothing like a Christmas Rose ;-)
Leaves too fleshy, wrong shape, growing up the stem instead of around
the base and Christmas Rose (Helleborus niger) doesn't produce plantlets
along the edges of its leaves.

It's what I knew long ago as Bryophyllum diagremontianum, now known as
Kalanchoe diagremontiana

http://www.bryophyllum.com/b/articles/id/

Good fun, but you'll soon have far too many of them! It flowers, too:

http://tinyurl.com/2not73

It's a succulent, so don't water it until it the soil has dried out from
the previous watering. Keep it indoors or in a greenhouse in winter, and
don't water it while the weather is cold (or only sparingly if it's in a
warm house over winter).

I used to also have B tubiflorum, which has cylindrical leaves with
plantlets on the end, and K fedschenkoi, which had blue pollen which
formed a strange contrast with the bright orange flowers.
--
Kay