Old 13-03-2007, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Identify a gift plant

La Puce writes
On 13 Mar, 19:10, sam wrote:
igtodd wrote:
Could anyone help me identify a plant that was given to me as a gift?
A photo is at
http://star.pst.qub.ac.uk/~it/DSC02278.jpg
It grows lots of little plantlets on the edges of the leaves!

Looks to me like a Christmas Rose, Ian.Worth keeping.

Do you mean the winter flowering cacti, Schlumbergera? The leaves are
more serrated on Ian's picture. I'm not sure ...

Christmas Rose is usually applied to Helleborus niger.

Schlumbergia truncata is known as Christmas cactus. It looks completely
different from Ian's picture - the 'leaves' (which are actually
flattened stems) grow end from end from each other. Ian's picture
clearly shows true leaves placed opposite on a stem - this is sufficient
to identify that Ian's plant is not Schlubergera without recourse to
degree of serration.
--
Kay