Old 13-03-2007, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert[_3_] Robert[_3_] is offline

Default Access via Google

In message , Sacha
writes
No, Alan, I'm sorry if this irks you but no, I will not. This group had a
reputation for excellence at one time. The advice it gave was good,
impartial and carefully considered. If one person was contradicted by
another, there was no display of fireworks and histrionics but more usually,
"do you think so?" "you might be right" "I don't agree" and always with
good reasons given even allowing for the odd tetchy moment. The more the
kill file is employed the more the disrupter wins the day because members do
not see what is going on in their name. That is *precisely* why urg has
reached this all time low. Too many long time urglers don't see what is
happening.

Sacha - unfortunately the current disruption to urg is not one sided.
La Puce responds to requests for information and you and some others
point out her inaccuracies. That in itself is fair enough but you and I
both know that it is frequently done in such a way as to elicit a
reaction - just as La Puce uses text that she knows will cause you to
react. There are now a few people who post regularly on this ng who
seem to enjoy annoying each other which is, at best, pointless and has
all too frequently descended into prolonged bickering.

Where someone makes a post that is considered to be incorrect all that
is necessary is to post a response indicating an alternative viewpoint -
without raising the temperature - and then move on - both views are
expressed and it is up to the reader to decide which they choose to
accept. No individual posting to a ng posts in the name of other
'members' of the ng. Everyone is entitled to make known their opinion
(hopefully in a manner that is not going to intentionally annoy others)
but it is only their opinion.

Killfiles do have a use and judicious use may help restore urg to its
former more pleasant self.
--
Robert