Old 13-03-2007, 08:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Max from Holland Max  from Holland is offline

Default Cell phone macro shot

: That's because phone cameras have tiny lenses, which means a very small
: f-stop, which means a very long depth of field (focussing zone.) The SLR
: was I imagine set to telephoto ("zoom"), which results in a shallow
: depth of field. It also has a larger ;ens, so even at normal settings it
: has a shallow depth of field.
:
: But the hawk moves...
:
: So the phone camera will get an "in focus" image of the hawk even as it
: moves out of the shallower focussing zone of the SLR camera. So "at
: normal viewing resolutions" the picture will look sharp. Try the digital
: zoom in your image viewer, and you will see the jaggies sooner in the
: cellphone image. Or try full screen, which also shows up differences in
: image resolution. Cheap point'n'shoot cameras also have small lenses, etc.
:
: Bottom line: for snapshots and 4x6 prints, point'n'shoot and cellphone
: cameras are very good indeed. They're also often good for closeups, if
: they can focus close up at all. They're also much lighter. :-)
:
: But if you want images you can print at 8x10 or larger, an SLR will win
: hands down.
:
: --
:
:
: Wolf
:
: "Don't believe everything you think." (Maxine)

If I shoot the same Magnolia with my Nikon, Sony or even with my old retired
Olympus DSLR ( E20) they will blow the cell phone away. If I took pictures
of a Eagle or Hawk, the same thing. I can`t believe no one took better
pictures with their expensive DSLR`s. However, the cell phone is a handy,
little camera. It makes OK pictures in daylight ( 3.2 mp!) Never use the
build in flash and stick to iso 80. It`s not always the camera, it `s the
person who holds it.

max