Old 14-03-2007, 11:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] DaileyJohn.20.decij@spamgourmet.com is offline

Default Bare Spot in Backyard

On Mar 13, 4:47 pm, "Dan L." wrote:
In article ,

Lar wrote:
wrote:
I live in Cincinnati Ohio, and roughly speaking, my reasonably
large backyard is surrounded by trees. The parts that get at least
partial shade grow well, but there is a sunny spot in the middle of
the backyard (roughly 8 by 10 feet) that grows very poorly. In every
7 inch square space (roughly speaking again), there is only one clump
of brownish looking grass with barespots in between the clumps. It
seems like the barespot grows slightly more every year. Can anyone
tell me what the problem is so that I can fix it this year?

Thanks,

JD

Hard to say, could be a number of things...can be as simple as someone
dumping out the rock salt several years ago after making home made ice
cream, to weed killers used to control something, or maybe someone once
parked an old car in that spot dripping oil. Maybe start with getting
soil samples analyzed to make sure it's not an environmental issue.

Lar

Are there any tiny little holes in the bare spots and japanese beetles
in the neighborhood? If so ..... Aaahhhhhh.... Ruuunnnnn

Enjoy Life ......... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.

Haven't noticed much in the way of little holes or Japanese beetles in
the 6 years that I have lived in this house, but I will look closer.
Also, it is possible that someone dumped something harmful on the
land, but I doubt it because the previous owner of the house was a
federal marshall who was very fussy. (For instance, he has left notes
in the house about the exact length of a pipe, required maintenance
etc.)

JD