Old 14-03-2007, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Securing Gate to concrete fence post.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

In a couple of weeks im erecting a fence and will be needing to mount
a gate from my end post - a concrete one. I was thinking of fixing a
plinth of wood to the edge of the post but what method is best for
doing this as im aware the posts have steel rods inside for strength.

Thanks

Will the concrete post have holes in it for a wire strainer?

If so, fix an angle iron via the strainer wire OR enlarge the holes and fix
with bolts and fix a timber to this.

I have had to do this on my concrete garage.

No problem in enlarging a hole as the steel wires will be clear of the
holes.

A Masonry drill will be required and enlarge to hole slowly, i.e., don't
push the drill hard, let the drill do the work.

Hope this helps.

Mike

--
www.rneba.org.uk