Old 14-03-2007, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h) Cat(h) is offline

Default Daffs 99% vanished

On Mar 4, 4:07 pm, "Trevor"
wrote:
I planted dozens of Narcissus 'Rijnveld's Early Sensation in the autumn of
2005 around our village monument. They made a splendid show in Feb/March
2006. This year virtually 99% of them haven't come up. I dug up the bulbs
and an odd one has a pathetic green shoot of a few inches and that's it.
What could have gone wrong? Would it be a mistake to plant more in the same
place?

I planted them at the same time along the foot of a Lonicera nitida hedge a
few metres away , and they are flowering OK.

Same thing happened to me two years previously. I dug up the bulbs to
find them partly rotten, and infested with small white grubs. I was
told I had some eel worm (from memory) and told to not put any more
bulbs in that area for a few years, as they would succumb to the same
problem.
Regardless of the cause, I feel your pain! There is nothing nicer
than a good splash of daffs in the garden.
Cat(h)