Old 14-03-2007, 11:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Carol Hague Carol Hague is offline

Default ? Chemical Control of Carrot Fly

wrote:

We have been unable to grow carrots on our heavy clay soil but this
year we have prepared a special bed and hopefully they will grow.

When we lived in the City, we had a problem with carrot fly, is there
a chemical product we can buy to control this or is there a proven
method that works without the use of chemicals?

The BBC garden page at:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basic...ompanionplanti
ng.shtml

recommends growing the carrots next to leeks - supposedly the scent of
the leeks confuses the carrot root fly and the carrots reciprocate for
onion fly and leek moth, although I confess I'd never heard of the
latter. I haven't tried this (yet) so I don't know if it works or not.

And there are carrot fly resistant varieties like Fly Away although the
seed tends to be more expensive. As a side effect though, whatever
they've bred for to repel the flies makes the carrots sweeter - we grew
a few some years back and they were lovely.

--
Carol
"Never trust a man wearing leather shorts and a plastic dressing gown"