Old 14-03-2007, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k. p.k. is offline

Default Access via Google

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 13 Mar, 18:20, "Sue" wrote:
One of the very earliest I remember was about rhododendrons and how long
they take to flower from seed. See the thread titled 'shrub ID please'
from November 2005.

Oh I remember indeed! It was a plant ID - it was a rhodo and Ruppert
thought it was a skimmia. Then he realised it wasn't. I then thought
about potash since it didn't flower and because it was a rhodo from
seed and it was very young I did mentioned that it took 2 to 3 years
to flower from seeds, which they do.

No they don't.

Cutting from mature plants resume flowering in 2-3 years.

Web references suggest that seedlings only flower when mature, normally a
minimum of 3-5 years in ideal propagation and growing conditions

pk