Old 14-03-2007, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k. p.k. is offline

Default Access via Google

La Puce wrote:
On 14 Mar, 14:15, "p.k." wrote:
it was a rhodo from
seed and it was very young I did mentioned that it took 2 to 3 years
to flower from seeds, which they do.

No they don't.
Cutting from mature plants resume flowering in 2-3 years.

FROM SEEDS!!

Do escuse me for shouting everyone. The windows are open and spring is
wafting through. Glorious. I felt like being loud )

Web references suggest that seedlings only flower when mature,
normally a minimum of 3-5 years in ideal propagation and growing
conditions

FROM SEEDS please. What are you web references saying about the time
scale (approx) for rhodo flowering from SEEDS?

the thread that was referenced, seemed so far as i could determine to settle
on 2-3 years from propogated cuttings

a brief google give me loads of references to growing Rhodos form seed all
suggesting at least 3 years with ideal propogation conditions.

see; http://www.tjhsst.edu/~dhyatt/seeds.html which has "Rhododendrons can
flower in 3 to 4 years from seed "

http://www.victoriarhodo.ca/Archives/PropGrp.htm has "Growing rhodos from
seeds poses different challenges and requires patience, because many years
can go by before the first flowering"

http://kanawhamastergardeners.homest...opagation.html has "Native
deciduous azaleas, if watered and fertilized can produce limited flowers in
3 years from seed germination.

I can't find any that suggest that 2-3 years is the norm for rododendron

i'd be grateful for your sources that sugget 2-3 years, it would be
intersting to know the techniques used

pk