Old 15-03-2007, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Bill Rose Bill Rose is offline

Default Which seeds need to be germinated first?

In article . com,
"simy1" wrote:

On Mar 7, 12:18 pm, William Rose wrote:

I hope to plant:

sweet, and hot peppers,

I failed repeatedly with these guys, but, they need a warmer
temperature inside and also outside, compared to tomatoes. Still ,they
transplant.

"simy1",
with respect to the above, did you mean that you haven't been able to
germinate peppers, or you haven't been able to grow peppers?

For me the trick is germination, I've been growing "starter" peppers for
years. Last year I grew a lifetime supply of habaneros, about thirty
peppers. I have yet to find a recipe that calls for more than 1/2 of a
habanero. I am much more confortable with jalapenos, which I also grow.

In keeping with my long tradition of not waiting to freak-out, I am
commencing as of now. My first go at germinating with a hot pad, grow
lights and, an enclosed incubator worked like a charm for everything,
except the peppers.

Peas, tomatoes, and herbs were all precocious, germinating in seven days
but the cells that contain the peppers show nothing. I understand that
it can take as long as 18 days for peppers to germinate, so for now, I'm
just concerned. The pepper seeds were from last year, which adds a
wrinkle to the plot. I now have fresh seeds, which is to say, I just
bought them, in case I have to re-run the germination.

Anyway, I am trolling for ideas and hoping you have some.

Thanks,

- Bill