Old 27-03-2003, 06:08 AM
B & J

Default WHERE OH WHERE! can I find a Spiraea Thunbergii???????

"Allview" wrote in message
And if she can't find one the one she wants that way, but spots the one

she
wants in a yard, knock on the door and ask for some cuttings. They're
incrededibly easy to start from cuttings and grow rapidly. A plant I

started
from a cutting last year is about 2' tall and has buds on it this spring.

John, please tell me how to choose a cutting. There is a button spirea

that I
covet and the owner would not object to my getting a small piece. How

big?
Old wood?

Marilyn in Ohio

Marilyn "Madgarder" steered you in the right direction about new wood
cuttings. Wait until the plant has sent out vigorous shoots and break them
off, keeping the node that attaches them to the parent plant intact. I take
cuttings toward the end of May, but you'll probably want to wait another
week or two in Ohio. Try to find ones that are about 6" - 8". (Be generous
about the number, because all may not root!) Strip off the bottom leaves,
dust in rooting hormone, plant in 4" pots with a mixture of 1/3 peat moss
and /2/3 play sand or pro mix, water thoroughly, cover with clear plastic,
ad put in a shady spot. In three to five weeks the cuttings should be
rooted.

John