Old 15-03-2007, 04:01 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

Default Tomatoe stake question

"Michael" wrote in message

"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
Does anyone have some practical advice on what to use to stake up
tomatoes? Last year I used some 3 foot steel fencing, but my tomatoes
grew an easy 6-7 feet tall. It was a mess, one of the clusters fell over
lol.

I always stake my tomatoes and always snip off suckers. I always plant 4
pounders and 4 cherry. I have way too many too eat and always give the
extras away. but they look so beautiful while growing. I have decided this
year to use drip irrigation to better serve me and my plants. These stakes
are made of 8 foot x 2inch x 1/2inch and I use screws to hold them
together.

http://www.medical-user.com/Pictures/101_1199.JPG

Peace

Michael

Very nice. Do you use the fence behind them to support them or otherwise
hold them up?

I'd use drip irrigation, but for a garden my size it would cost way too
much. I'm on a well and don't really have a shortage of water, so I just use
a set of impact sprinklers around the edge of the garden. Takes most of the
day to water it all, but the cost of running my well pump is minimal.