Old 15-03-2007, 05:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,alt.religion.kibology
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Shredded Paper in Compost Pile

"William Rose" wrote in message

On 2007-03-09, William Rose wrote:

If you have wolf based dogs, dogs with an undercoat, they will be
dumping a lot of hair right about now that can be sown/turned into the
garden. Better known as slow release nitrogen.

And knitting sweaters (I've seen a book on this).

And I'm saving dog hair from a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel to mix with
Alpaca to spin into yarn.

Farm1, that's quite a handle your dog has.

Yeah, but no longer than German Short Haired Pointer :-)) Dunno why breed
names get so long.

If you make a sweater from
the yarn,

Probably not - it'st ake too long to collect that mcuh - perhaps a hat or
scarf.

will it come with a sack of ashes?

:-)) Perhaps just a scourge?

All kidding aside, I'm glad to see people unplugging from the consumer
matrix. Do you spin and weave the hair yourself?

I'll spin it myself and perhaps knit or crochet it. I wouldn't weave it.

What do dog hair shirts
feel like or will this be for throw rugs?

The Cavalier King Charles has very, very fine soft hair - softer than corn
silk or baby hair.

Are there specific breeds for
weaving? (I presume that they should be long-hairs.)

Many breeds of dogs have ahir that can be can be used to spin. My neigbour
has a Marrema and I've promised to spin some of her dog's hair for her.
I've even heard of someone spinning hair from a cow (whcih would be really
hard to do) but then they complained that it was prickly - not at all
surprised by that.