Old 27-03-2003, 06:44 AM
Reiner Goebel

Default Euonymus

Shelly Hurd wrote:

Bart,
Since no one else has jumped in here

Sorry, I guess I should have, but ever since I started reading the IBC
via the newsgroup a few months ago, which means that the group's
messages don't automatically appear in my Inbox, I have had to make a
real effort to get updated. It looks like I haven't made the effort for
about a month. ;-(

"Bart Thomas" wrote:

Inspired by a photo of Reiner's last fall, I went out and bought a

Euonymus
'compacta' (not very compact - it came balled & bagged.)

I think the term 'compacta' is intended to refer more to its growth
habit. ;-)

When should I put it in a training pot? (The trunk is big enough.)

If your trunk is the size you want it to be then it's time to put it into
either a training pot or even a slightly over size bonsai pot (your option).
I would wait until you don't expect night time temps to fall below 40 F.

I'll buy that.

When should I start to train branches?

My personal choice with this bush is grow and clip.

So is mine. I would start training the branches this spring. Since you
have adequate trunk diameter, you can concentrate on branching and
ramification. Be aware that once you prune a branch, you will not get
further extensions this growing season. At least I don't up here.

Can I treat this like a maple and cut everything off the trunk? When?

You could at the time the plant resumes growth, which should be right
about now, but I would only do that as a last resort, preferring instead
to make something of the plant with the branches it has.

Thanks, Shelly, for jumping in so ably. I am glad one of my pictures
encouraged Bart to experiment with Euonymus alatus compactus. I think
it's a plant that is exceptionally well suited for bonsai culture in a
temperate climate.

Reiner Goebel
Toronto, Canada
http://www.rgbonsai.com