Old 19-02-2003, 11:39 AM
Pat Kiewicz

Default Favorite Plants??

simy1 said:

(Pat Kiewicz) wrote in message

Shade tree: sugar maple

Chestnut or linden, both having beatiful vase shape, and both
providing edibles.

I'd put linden on my list, too, but I was feeling loyal to the sugar maple
in the back yard. My brother has a lovely old linden at his house. Fills
up with bees and butterflies when in bloom.

Maple syrup is edible too -- just not practical to make at home! Though you
can break the tips off a branch when the sap is running and get a sweet
drink, or sometimes even a sap-sicle, if it freezes overnight.

Huge shrub/small tree: Amelanchier x 'Autumn Brilliance' (or any other
Amelanchier).

does it produce berries in abundance? Where can one get one?

Yes, indeed -- and the birds love to gobble them up just before they
are dead ripe. They are widely available at nurseries (sold as ornamentals).

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)