Old 15-03-2007, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Heron!

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:40:54 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

On 15/3/07 17:18, in article ,
"(o)(o)" wrote:

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:40:46 -0000, "Pete Stockdale"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
A wretched heron has been to one of the ponds this morning and either it's
cleared it out or all the fish are hiding! I feel sure it's the latter as
it's a well-stocked pond but while I don't begrudge it one or two fish,
we'll be furious if it takes the koi. And we *are* furious that it's
taken
a mass of frog spawn. ;-(

You cant gripe about animals doing what animals do. Did you protect
them in any way?

Other than netting which looks unattractive (this garden is open to the
public) there is nothing else to do. We may have to move the fish to
another pond.

Does anything take spawn?

Yes, fish and herons! One enormous clump has disappeared overnight and as
the fish are being fed, they've being ignoring the spawn.

I think next weeks weather may well put paid to some early breeding
wildlife, sadly.

I'm afraid that's probably right. I've heard of baby blackbirds in the nest
already and our rooks are building nests like mad though not actually laying
yet, I hope.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

We now electrify the sides and net over the top of our pond to prevent the
herons here.

Very good idea. We actually have trouble with cats grabbing the frogs
at the pond, lying in wait etc. Electric would be a very good
deterrent! What do you use?

If this is meant for me - we don't and can't - public access again!

You must be in an ideal position to test out various heron scarers!

I wonder if a replica dog, or similar stationed near the pond would
work?
--

Avoid the rush at the last judgement. Be converted now instead!

Disclaimer

Pete has taken all reasonable care to ensure that pages published by him
were accurate on the date of publication or last modification.
Other pages which may be linked or which Pete may have published are in
a personal capacity. Pete takes no responsibility for the consequences
of error or for any loss or damage suffered by users of any of the information
published on any of these pages, and such information does not form any
basis of a contract with readers or users of it.

It is in the nature of Usenet & Web sites, that much of the information is
experimental or constantly changing, that information published may
be for test purposes only, may be out of date, or may be the personal
opinion of the author.
Readers should verify information gained from the Web/Usenet with the appropriate
authorities before relying on it.

Should you no longer wish to read this material or content, please use your
newsreaders kill filter.