Old 15-03-2007, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ben Phlat Ben Phlat is offline

Default Chemical herbicides - cheaper options?

Depends on the size of your property, I just sprayed over 20 gallons,
mixed from concentrate, just to go around the house, around the
driveway and down the the front and back property line. I live on ten
acres though.

--Ben

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 13:35:00 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

A $40 bottle of Roundup will last for years (decades.) It's not that
expensive unless you are *way* overusing it. I just started on my
second quart 2 years ago. I bought the first quart in the 1980's.

Don't cover the grass until it is dead -- or at least sick and yellow
from the Roundup.

If the ground is too cold for the tomatoes, the grass is probably not
actively growing yet and the Roundup will be less affective.

Can you get straw or pine needles to cover the whole garden? Then till
under the old mulch after the earthworms, fungi, and bacteria have had a
season to work on it. Leaves, straw, and horse manure would be perfect.
If you use plastic now, it will get in the way when you try to till it.

I've seen good reports about using red plastic mulch under tomatoes.

Bob