Old 15-03-2007, 11:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] robertharvey@my-deja.com is offline

Default Securing Gate to concrete fence post.

On 14 Mar, 07:26, " wrote:
Hi,

In a couple of weeks im erecting a fence and will be needing to mount
a gate from my end post - a concrete one. I was thinking of fixing a
plinth of wood to the edge of the post but what method is best for
doing this as im aware the posts have steel rods inside for strength.

My solution was to buy some 5mm thick, 30mm wide steel bar from the
nearest farm shop, and cold form it to go round 3 sides of the post
and stick out a bit. I then cut a timber wedge to correct the taper
of the post, the same width as the post, and screwed the sticking-out
ends of the metal straps to the two sides of the timber wedge. The
taper of the post, and the weight of the gate keeps it all in place.

I rubbed the steel up bright, and then painted with the special primer
and smooth hamerite before fitting. I greased the screws, and then
cleaned off around the heads, grease filled the slots, and painted
over them