Old 27-03-2003, 07:32 AM
Cannibul

Default Unable to detect rise in nitrate with PMDD.

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 14:31:53 -0600, "Scott Rogahn"
wrote:

Make sure you follow the directions on the test kit to the tee! If
you don't shake regent #2 for at least 20 seconds you will show 0.
You also have to shake the test vial after you add #2. Shake for at
least a minute. Then wait about 10 minutes before you check the
chart.

"LeighMo" wrote in message
Why won't the test kit read any nitrate?

Maybe it's a bad test kit. Has it ever measured any nitrate?

The kits has never read any nitrates. I was suppried to see there were no
nitrates in a populated tank, but i belived the test.

I just added some scotts weed and feed 19% nitrogen to a small amount of
water and tested that. NO NITRATES. So i must have a bad kit.

I always buy my test kit from someplace that does a high
volume of business. That way, you can be reasonably sure that the test
reagants are fresh.

This store is only been in business for about 1 year. There are more of a
bird watching store that sells fish supplies as a side line. They have a
nice selection of filters, test kits and such, but I doubt they sell much.

I thought I needed to switch from flourish to PMDD because of the results of
the Nitrate test. Maybe I should have left it alone. Most of plants are
growing, and pearling. the algae is in reemission.

How much PMDD should I add with out the ability to test for nitrates?