Old 15-03-2007, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Heron!

"Sally Thompson" wrote in reply to"Sacha"
A wretched heron has been to one of the ponds this morning and either
it's
cleared it out or all the fish are hiding! I feel sure it's the latter
as
it's a well-stocked pond but while I don't begrudge it one or two fish,
we'll be furious if it takes the koi. And we *are* furious that it's
taken
a mass of frog spawn. ;-(

Sacha, I have never tried it but some friends once swore by positioning an
artificial heron at the edge of the pond. The theory is that they don't
take
to a rival and will stay away. You can get some very life-like ones :-)

These can work because these birds are territorial but it's important the
fake heron is moved around the pond or the real ones will soon see through
the subterfuge.

--
Regards
Bob H