Old 16-03-2007, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Heron!

On 15/3/07 19:28, in article , "BAC"
wrote:

snip

I don't know where the idea came from that herons are solitary birds. I've
frequently seen several using the same wetland area, and suspect that if
they get the idea a location is a good feeding spot, because they see
another heron there, they will investigate, sooner or later.

Have you thought of the grid available from

http://www.safapond.com/

It would keep out herons, cats, and children, too.

I've seen this before and have even recommended it, or something similar. I
need to be sure, of course, that the frogs can get in and out, too. This
is a horrible problem! The pond is more about 50 years old, so the frogs
and toads are very used to coming to it. Strangely though, I've seen no
toadspawn yet this year. What do they know that the frogs don't?
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk