Old 16-03-2007, 03:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default Systemic pest killers

I don't know if I'd use a chemical that was over 20 years old... let's see
Was Reagan in office then??

Anyway, I've used Orthene and the newer breeds of insecticide like some of
the Bayer products with imicloprid (not a systemic) in them.

But interestingly I used insecticidal soap to get rid of mealies that were
invading the Paphs in my collection. Go figure. Worked for me but didn't
work for you. But then I tend to hit things hard with the biggest gun I can
find. (Orthene or Malathion) so maybe its not crazy that something simple
would work. since the bugs in my collection probably hadn't had exposure to
that insecticide.

If you can find Orthene use it. or malathion, water the day before in order
to limit sequelae to the plant, cytotoxologic effects, like streaks/color
break in flower buds. Won't stop them but will lessen them.

K Barrett

"Dayton" wrote in message
Does anyone have experience, hopefully positive, using systemics on
orchids? I am at my wit's end spraying Neem and insecticidal soaps for
scale. Now mealies are beginning to show up as well. Getting very close to
making a large trip to the compost heap (if the snow ever melts) and going
back to ferns and begonias.
Most of the problem children are phals potted in either soil-less mixes or
moss. I suspect no systemic would work in a bark mix.
I have a fairly old (20+ years) can of DiSyston granules(Disulfoton
Diethyl ethyl phosphordithicate) that I've used on other soil based plants
with some success. Cannot find any indication of use for orchids and there
isn't much on the web. From what I've found, it may even be banned in some
places. Not sure what else may be available, but I'm hoping something
works.
Appreciate any input anyone has.