Old 16-03-2007, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Heron!

On 16 Mar, 00:43, Sacha wrote:
On 15/3/07 20:10, in article , "Alan

Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 15/3/07 14:50, in article ,
"Alan
Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
. co.uk...
A wretched heron has been to one of the ponds this morning and either
it's
cleared it out or all the fish are hiding! I feel sure it's the latter
as
it's a well-stocked pond but while I don't begrudge it one or two fish,
we'll be furious if it takes the koi. And we *are* furious that it's
taken
a mass of frog spawn. ;-(

If you put a sort of fence around the pond, a wire suspended about 6in to
foot high on some samll stakes, it will stop the herons getting in, as
they
walk to the side of the pond and anything which stops them moving into
the
water deters them.

We can't, Alan. This pond is paved all around. There's nothing to put the
sticks into - and sure as fate if we could do it, someone would trip over
it
and take a dive into the water!

I'm sure there must be some way of securing the sticks, and a clear notice
to the general public would see no one fell into the pond.

No, Alan, there is NO way of securing sticks. And despite one of those
yellow 'danger' notices on the edge of the pond, some poor woman stood on
one of the coping stones two years ago, broke the cement seal and fell into
the water! It's only 3' deep, so she was in no danger but she was severely
embarrassed, poor soul. Our experience is that people don't read notices,
or don't really see them or don't think they apply to them. It's something
we've all done, one way or another. There is no way of wiring off this
pond, other than a major fence round it which would ruin its appearance and
its place in this garden.
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

What you need are a couple of gnomes with radio controlled shot guns.
David hill
Abacus Nurseries