Old 16-03-2007, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes June Hughes is offline

Default Heron!

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Pete Stockdale
writes

We now electrify the sides and net over the top of our pond to prevent the
herons here.
They still have miles of adjacent canal to go at - so they wont starve !
Regards

Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Do they come at specific points of the year or do they pinch the fish
anytime? We've lost three sets of orfe to a heron, the fish that get
missed, usually the baby black ones, seem to go into hiding for about a
week afterwards.

I hate herons, nice to look at though they are. Our best deterrent is a
pair of crows, generations of which have lived in a tree in our
next-door's garden for years. They see the heron off in double quick
time. It never ceased to amaze me how big herons are when they come and
land in the vicinity of the house.

Someone here, years ago, got a full-sized model heron and were worried
that the real one would try to mate with it. I was told when we built
the pond to put plants round it, as herons cannot wade into it then (it
is very deep but we have shelves on three sides). However, a friend of
ours had a huge pond and the herons used to come and spread their wings,
making a shadow over the pond, before pinching the fish without wading
at all.
--
June Hughes