Old 16-03-2007, 06:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Chemical herbicides - cheaper options?

On 16 Mar 2007 10:55:51 -0700, "
wrote:

Ok, so if cutting an X isn't going to get enough water to my plants
then what else can I do?

Use the hose and stick it into the hole.

So, which is better Black or Clear plastic? Is either one more
likely to burn my plants as well as the weeds?

Clear plastic in many test trials proved more effective in
solarization, including the riddance of weeds. You can use black, but
I use clear. I would recommend you get on your knees and really dig
large holes, loosening the soil about 36" for each tomato plant.
Amend that soil using compost and good organic fertilizer. When you
are there, carefully pull every single piece of the bermuda out by
hand. Three holes that large will take several hours or so. Then lay
the plastic over everything and cut away the part where the plants are
going to grow. Put in your stakes or cages or whatever you will hold
the plants up with and it should be perfectly fine. The catalog
Gardens Alive, (I beleive) sells red colored plastic which is supposed
to help tomatoes. I never tried it, so have no experience.

Do I need to set up a special hose system to water just the roots of
my tomatos? I think I've seen some 1/4" and 3/8" black plastic lines
at walmart that folks use to water houseplants, has anyone used these
for vegetable gardens? Would it have enough flow? It seems like a
pretty neat option, as I could just mount a little mister head to the
bottom rung on each of my round tomato cages.

Sure, you can do any number of ways to water. Drip hoses, soaker
lines, etc. Choose what is right for you.

Sorry so many questions, but I'm really clueless about how to grow
vegetables on soil that is covered with bermuda grass right now.

No worries. There are a lot of people in this newsgroup who've been
here for a dozen years, myself included. We all have to start
somewhere. If you have more questions, just ask away. You may get
several ansers and you can choose the one which makes the most sense
to you. I prefer organic gardening, others prefer conventional
gardening.

There are a million websites to also help you with suggestions.

Victoria