Old 16-03-2007, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
[email protected] pakrat@localhost.private.neotoma.org is offline

Default Systemic pest killers

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 15:56:23 GMT in H6zKh.70$Sf2.21@trnddc01 Gene Schurg wrote:
I used the Bayer Tree and Shrub with good success.

I used it at a 1 Tablespoon per gallon and drenched the plants for three
consecutive waterings one week a part.

I did notice that the older growths continued to host scale for some time.
I believe this is because they do not take up as much water/chemical as the
newer growth.

And another item to add, a gently wielded toothbrush with some soapy water
and/or rubbing alcohol does well for lowering the population.
Granted, gently using a fingernail was more compatible with my desire
for an OCD activity...

Good Growing,
Gene

wrote in message
g...
On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 22:17:41 -0400 in
Dayton wrote:
Does anyone have experience, hopefully positive, using systemics on
orchids? I am at my wit's end spraying Neem and insecticidal soaps for
scale. Now mealies are beginning to show up as well. Getting very close
to making a large trip to the compost heap (if the snow ever melts) and
going back to ferns and begonias.
Most of the problem children are phals potted in either soil-less mixes
or moss. I suspect no systemic would work in a bark mix.
I have a fairly old (20+ years) can of DiSyston granules(Disulfoton
Diethyl ethyl phosphordithicate) that I've used on other soil based
plants with some success. Cannot find any indication of use for orchids
and there isn't much on the web. From what I've found, it may even be
banned in some places. Not sure what else may be available, but I'm
hoping something works.
Appreciate any input anyone has.

Using imodoclopid (misspelled big time, active ingredient in Bayer Tree
and
Shrub) killed off scale, but made things tastier for mites.

Dunk and soak for the things in bark.
Added to the fertilizer mix for the things in semi-hydro.
Look through the archived articles for mixing ratio.

--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up