Old 16-03-2007, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Chemical herbicides - cheaper options?

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 14:25:51 -0500, Lar wrote:

wrote:
Ok, so if cutting an X isn't going to get enough water to my plants
then what else can I do?

So, which is better Black or Clear plastic? Is either one more
likely to burn my plants as well as the weeds?

Plastic as a mulch in general is not always a good option, not only
keeps rain out but will not let the ground breath either. It can also
can create an environment for the more harmful fungi/molds to exist.
Maybe a quality landscape fabric instead, allows water in, keeps weeds
out, though there is more of a cost than the plastic.

Do I need to set up a special hose system to water just the roots of
my tomatos? I think I've seen some 1/4" and 3/8" black plastic lines
at walmart that folks use to water houseplants, has anyone used these
for vegetable gardens? Would it have enough flow? It seems like a
pretty neat option, as I could just mount a little mister head to the
bottom rung on each of my round tomato cages.

Some sort of "drip" irrigation for the plants probably will work great.
Probably not even a mister would be needed, just create a watering zone
around the base of the plants.

Lar

Fungi and molds will be killed or prevented with clear plastic. Black
plastic sets up the perfect conditions for anaerobic soil to fester
problems.