Old 16-03-2007, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Question about an Oak Tree stump.

Good question

The heartwood (that is a heartwood forming tree) if the trunk is not hollow,
in my view, could last 200 years if conditions are right. Remember wound
dressing does not stop decay. The bark would sloth in a couple of years and
the sapwood at the time of death will begin to decay. Again it depends on
the history (wounds) of the trunk when it was growing that will determine
the rate of decomposition. I wish I could take a look. I have some
pictures of some art I will try to post to a temp site.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"Bill" wrote in message
. 97.142...
I'm planning on having a large oak tree, 1 1/2 to 2 foot Diameter, in our
back yard removed but was considering leaving a few feet above the ground
for a 'stump' house. We were originally going to put a tree house in this
tree but due to the size and the fact that it overhangs our powerline, not
to mention that it started going balistic in it's acorn production 7 years
ago and is destroying our lawn, have decided to take it down. I did
promise the kids a 'treehouse' so it will be a 'stump' one instead, maybe,
my question is can anyone tell me how long will a stump survive intact. I
mean if it'll rot out from under the playhouse I'd just as soon get it
ground below the surface and put up something else. If it'll stay sound
for 8 or 9 years I think I'll try it since by then the girls should have
outgrown it and I can then get it ground down. Any ideas?

Bill