Old 17-03-2007, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] tombates@city-net.com is offline

Default Amaryillis and their leaf size

My amaryillis is out for the past month or so, and the leaves are only
about 4 inches. I notice that the flower stem is popping its head out.
We have had this plant for a number of years. It seems as if in the
past the leaves have been larger before the flower stem pops out. Does
the length of the leaves affect how successful the flowers will be? I
thought that the leaves make energy for the bulb for next years flower
rather than this years flower, and the less leaf the better. Any views
on this? The weather in our area has been colder this winter than last
year, although the plant is in a sunny window. We have always kept out
house at around 58 degrees.

Tom