Old 16-03-2007, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BoyPete BoyPete is offline

Default How lovely it all is!

June Hughes wrote:
Spring is just about to arrive.! I saw a water vole down by the brook
where I walk out dog this morning. (Before someone says it may have
been a rat, it was not, although I believe water voles are distantly
related to rats but have chubby little faces and shorter tails). It
dashed off up the bank when it saw me then re-appeared briefly before
scurrying away to hide. We knew they were back a couple of years ago
but it's the first time I have seen one. Then to my delight, there
was a woodpecker not ten yards away on the grass. It was only a
common woodpecker but all the same, it is exciting to see one so
close. Perhaps you think this is very childish but it has brought me
great pleasure this morning. Makes you forget all you troubles for a
while.

My house backs onto a school playing field.........but I'm in the middle of
a housing estate. For the last 3 years, a pair of woodpeckers have strutted
around in the field, just a few yards from my window. pic here taken last
year......
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/woodpecker/woodpecker

Beautiful bird
--