Old 17-03-2007, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Ray B Ray B is offline

Default Systemic pest killers

Have you considered Enstar II? Instead of being an insecticide that kills
adults, it is an insect growth regulator (IGR) that stops all stages of the
insect from maturing. No maturation = no reproduction = no population of
critters.

I find it to be most effective when applied initially with an true killer
like acephate or imidicloprid to knock down the adult population
immediately, then do the follow-up applications with Enstar alone.

"Dayton" wrote in message
Does anyone have experience, hopefully positive, using systemics on
orchids? I am at my wit's end spraying Neem and insecticidal soaps for
scale. Now mealies are beginning to show up as well. Getting very close to
making a large trip to the compost heap (if the snow ever melts) and going
back to ferns and begonias.
Most of the problem children are phals potted in either soil-less mixes or
moss. I suspect no systemic would work in a bark mix.
I have a fairly old (20+ years) can of DiSyston granules(Disulfoton
Diethyl ethyl phosphordithicate) that I've used on other soil based plants
with some success. Cannot find any indication of use for orchids and there
isn't much on the web. From what I've found, it may even be banned in some
places. Not sure what else may be available, but I'm hoping something
works.
Appreciate any input anyone has.