Old 17-03-2007, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Hummingbird Hawk Moth

On 16/3/07 23:15, in article , "Bob
Hobden" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote ..
This really is extraordinary. In the biggest greenhouse this morning, a
customer suddenly said "WHAT'S THAT????" and there, buzzing about a stand
of
primulas, was a hummingbird hawk moth! Normally, we see these in the
garden
in hot summers in August and September, often on Salvia involucrata. But
in
March......?!

Take a look at...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummingbird_hawk_moth
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galium

Have you got one of these species growing in the greenhouse/garden or
perhaps nearby?
If not you may get them to breed if you plant some in a clump somewhere.

It was the primulas this was heading for and they won't be around much
longer. But we have all the other plants named in the garden and/or the
greenhouses. Not all in flower yet, of course. Reading this and going by
colouration, this was an adult. As to Galium, we have masses of woodruff in
the garden, so let's hope we keep the moths as well. And yes, we certainly
observed that they returned to the same Salvias at the same time each day.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk