Old 17-03-2007, 05:59 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.gardens.edible
AndyS AndyS is offline

Default cheap seedlings

Steve Bonine wrote:
On the other hand, there are things that I can grow in my garden but
don't because I don't consider them worth the effort. Cauliflower is an
example -- I can buy frozen cauliflower at reasonable prices and the
taste compares favorably with what I can achieve by freezing it myself.
I just don't consider the incremental improvement worth my time to
plant, tend, harvest, and process it.

Andy writes:

Yeah. De acuredo !! I live in a heavily forested area and have
all
the oak leave I can carry.....
This year, I am going to clear off most of Texas to try the mulch
thing since there are few things I would like to avoid more than an
aerobic workout with a hoe........
Never tried cauliflower, but thanks for the tip.... I'll buy it....
However, tomatoes are expensive here,.... comparitively, and if I
buy $5 worth of plants from Home Depot, I can grow $100 worth of
tomatoes...... Unfortunately, I can only eat about $25 GGG
Another hobby I think I'll take up is making salsa, or some kind
of dip, that I can "process"..... I hate to throw them out when they
go bad.... and my neighbors won't answer the door in the summertime
if they see me coming with a sack......

Still, I enjoy the hell out of it......

After 40 years as a "technical dude" before retirement, this
gardening
thing is a welcome pastime..... even with the labor involved...

Andy in Eureka, Texas