Old 17-03-2007, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\) Robert \(Plymouth\) is offline

Default Digging

Mel wrote:
: My gardening books advise digging an allotment and adding manure and
: lime in the autumn or winter. The books also say that manure mustn't
: be added just before planting carrots and onions, and digging
: shouldn't be done just before planting brassicas.
:
: I didn't have any manure in the autumn but I do have some now. Is it
: too late to dig, manure and lime now? I'll probably be sowing and
: planting in a couple of weeks.
:
: Thanks.

You can still do both but you general advice is not to manure and lime the
same piece of ground in the same season as the lime will reduce the manure's
effectiveness. I would manure it all and save the lime for brassica planting
holes, or for next autumn