Old 17-03-2007, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\) Robert \(Plymouth\) is offline

Default Digging

Sacha wrote:
: On 17/3/07 18:09, in article ,
: "Robert (Plymouth)" wrote:
:
:: Mel wrote:
::: My gardening books advise digging an allotment and adding manure and
::: lime in the autumn or winter. The books also say that manure
::: mustn't be added just before planting carrots and onions, and
::: digging shouldn't be done just before planting brassicas.
:::
::: I didn't have any manure in the autumn but I do have some now. Is
::: it too late to dig, manure and lime now? I'll probably be sowing
::: and planting in a couple of weeks.
:::
::: Thanks.
::
:: You can still do both but you general advice is not to manure and
:: lime the same piece of ground in the same season as the lime will
:: reduce the manure's effectiveness. I would manure it all and save
:: the lime for brassica planting holes, or for next autumn
::
::
: And - says the non veg grower - you don't want TOO much lime on land
: for potatoes or you get scab - do I have that right?

That's right