Old 18-03-2007, 12:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default help needed plz

"Pam Cook" wrote
new to the group...I have a problem that I hope u can help me with
plz.....We have a pond, natural, no liner or anything, I have planted
daffodills all round it but the wild ducks have brought a plant that is
choking them,, it is a tall grass like plant with spikey stalks and little
brown balls that grow part way up the stem.... It is spreading like
fury,, even tho' hubby dug it up last year...originally they were
individual plants, but now they are just continual....Is there anything I
can use to get rid of them that won't harm other plants or the hundreds
of fish that breed in the pond...or..frogs or frogspawn etc.??? I am at a
loss as to what to do.....

Welcome to URG, sounds like a rush/sedge and probably the Compact Rush
(Juncus conglomeratus). You should not even think of using any weedkillers
near water so I'm afraid it's just a case of digging out where possible and
cutting back constantly where it's not to stop it seeding around.
Sorry, there is no easy cure, except that I've heard it likes acid
conditions so perhaps a check on the pH and if below 7 some correction of
the pH to 7+ may help but I don't know for certain that it would.

--
Regards
Bob H