Old 18-03-2007, 12:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman cineman is offline

Default help needed plz

Hi,
It may be only 18 inches high at present but give it chance
The brown balls are the seed heads.
Do not know what type of sedge it is, This link gives the nearest I can find
so far,
http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/P3/P39318.php
Although the flower heads are more rounded than elongated.

It is spread by birds in their droppings as well as other means.
It will grow in the pond if you let it, that will contain it.
except for seed dispersal.
In one of my ponds, it has colonised a corner, on trying to remove it, we
had several disestablished, and unhappy newts, who had burrowed into the
roots and nested, need less to say wifey returned it to the water....

Hope this is of some use.
regards
Cineman

Its root system is quite vigorous and when it gets into containers, as it
will, it is difficult to pull up.

Keep pulling it out when it is still quite small and its easier to control.
A l;arge clump will have to dug out, only way Im afraid.

"Pam Cook" wrote in message

"Sally Thompson" wrote in message
al.net...
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 08:49:18 +0000, Pam Cook wrote
(in article ):

hi,
new to the group...I have a problem that I hope u can help me with
plz.....We have a pond, natural, no liner or anything, I have planted
daffodills all round it but the wild ducks have brought a plant that is
choking them,, it is a tall grass like plant with spikey stalks and
little
brown balls that grow part way up the stem.... It is spreading like
fury,,
even tho' hubby dug it up last year...originally they were individual
plants, but now they are just continual....Is there anything I can use
get rid of them that won't harm other plants or the hundreds of fish
that
breed in the pond...or..frogs or frogspawn etc.??? I am at a loss as to
what
to do.....
Thanks,
Pam

Pam, welcome to the group although you have joined it at an all-time low
in
its history. However, please don't be put off but just try to avoid the
flak
if you can :-)

I have a pond too, but I can't identify your plant from the description,
although someone else may instantly recognise it. Is it possible to take
photo and put it on a web site somewhere so we can all look at it? There
plenty of free photo-hosting places around. Also, is it growing in
particularly boggy patches?

--
Sally, Thank you for replying....I will ask my son to take a picture of
the plant, Someone said it was sedge????? It is about 18 inches high

Pam