Old 18-03-2007, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Hummingbird Hawk Moth

On 18/3/07 09:44, in article , "Malcolm"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 16/3/07 21:37, in article
, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

On 16 Mar, 14:48, Sacha wrote:
This really is extraordinary. In the biggest greenhouse this morning, a
customer suddenly said "WHAT'S THAT????" and there, buzzing about a stand
of
primulas, was a hummingbird hawk moth! Normally, we see these in the
garden
in hot summers in August and September, often on Salvia involucrata. But
in
March......?!
--
Sachahttp://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devonhttp://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

I did hear something last year about some over wintering in UK but no
reports of them breading here yet.
I should think they were really at home with you in the glasshouse.

I wish I knew more about their breeding habits. They were in the garden at
least two years ago so I'm assuming - guesswork only - that this is the
first of those homebred from last year.

I don't think they've been proved to breed in the UK yet. For more
information, see:

http://www.butterfly-conservation.or...ets/Humming-bi
rd_Hawk-moth.pdf

I'll get in touch with them and thank you for that info. I can't believe
it's travelled to us from France this early in the year! I've seen the
caterpillars in Jersey BTW, so perhaps it hopped on a flybe.com to Exeter.
;-)