Old 18-03-2007, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
will_c will_c is offline

Default Frost and Tadpoles

We have a mass of frog spawn, in various stages of development. Some has
produced tadpoles already. There are 3 or 4 large blobs, some under water,
some on the surface.

Can someone please give me some advice on protecting it from the cold
weather and frost that we are apparently about to be hit with?

I've been told that the tadpoles are likely to be OK as they'll swim deeper
to the warmer water, but that the spawn on the surface is vulnerable.

Would it help to cover the spawn? Or remove it in a bucket for a couple of
days?

Or should I just allow nature to make the life and death decisions? It just
seems a shame to let all those little creatures die if I can help them.

Thanks very much,