Old 18-03-2007, 03:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Is 4 inches too deep for grass seed? (I've alreay planted them 4 inches)

On 17 Mar 2007 16:26:51 -0700, wrote:

I have an d aerator that puts 4 inch holes in lawn. I spent 10 hours
aerating the entire lawn, and hand inserted grass seeds into each
hole.
I am wondering if this will be ok. As Ive done it Ill just have to
see. Im sure some of the seeds landed less than 4 inches.
I also covered the entire land in 1/2 inch layer of sphagnum peat
moss.

Any answers to this I very much appreciate.

thx

The rule-of-thumb for planting any seed is to plant it as deep as the
seed is wide. For grass seed just scratch it into bare ground and
protect with straw. Read and follow the directions before planting or
using any product--it will save you time and money.