Old 18-03-2007, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Heron!

On 18/3/07 13:06, in article , "Malcolm"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes

snip
One idea is to decide to love the herons and, if they eat too many fish,
restock the pond for them. After all, they're just as nice to have in
the garden as a pair of robins or blackbirds :-)

I love them but I like the fish, too! Robins and blackbirds don't take
those. I really don't mind the odd one or two fish if it has to happen but
a heron keeps coming back to a food source and will clear the pond
altogether, sooner or later.

Then, just as you would replenish your bird feeder with more peanuts,
replenish your pond with more fish :-))

They're a bit more expensive than peanuts and they're prettier!

As sticks and netting are out, perhaps another way of making flying in
and landing more difficult would be some taller plants around the edge -
perhaps in pots. It's difficult to make out the context of the pond, but
if, say, columnar conifers would look out of place, but what about some
Amanagowa cherries?

We have some tall things to the sides of the pond but not all the way round
it and it has steps up to it from the path which is backed by the rope and
post arrangement. If we put tall things in pots, as sure as fate they would
be pushed or blown in. I think in the end we're coming back to netting or
moving the fish to a different pond altogether.

And then it will all start over again.........:-)

The other pond is a bit deeper and has no wading in places, so it might be a
bit safer for the fish.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk