Old 18-03-2007, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Squirrel Stew!

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 18 Mar, 11:35, "MikeCT" wrote:
Whilst trawling through a few of my recipe books, I came across what could
just be the answer to all you gardeners plagued by squirrels. Squirrel
Stew!
Yes folks, it seems that a squirrel stew solves a lot of problems, one
being
what to do with the blighters once you've shot them. This recipe is from a
South Louisiana Cajun cookin' recipe book and very easy to prepare, once
you
have your squirrels.

For the recipe you will need, 3 squirrels, 2 cups of chopped red onions, 1
cup chopped spring onions, 1 large chopped red pepper, 1½ cups chopped
celery, 2 cloves of garlic (crushed), ½ cup of chopped parsley, 2 rashers
of
bacon, 1 cup of plain flour, 2 tsp. salt and pepper, 1 tbsp. soy sauce, 1½
cups of dry white wine, a dash of Angostura bitters, 2 cups of water and 1
large chopped very hot chilli with the seeds..

First skin and clean out your squirrels, then brown them in a hot
non-stick
frying pan with the bacon rashers and 1 tbsp olive oil.. Remove the
squirrels and bacon from the pan and braise the red pepper, red onion,
chilli and celery until nicely browned. Prepare a roux using the flour and
bacon rashers which should now be chopped. Transfer to a stew pot
including
the water, wine, soy sauce, garlic, Angostura bitters, spring onions and
parsley. Cook in an oven on the middle shelf for about 1½ hours at 200°C
(400°F) gas 6. The recipe doesn't say if it is safe to eat the squirrels
after they have feasted on your bluebell and crocus bulbs. Perhaps they
don't bother in America. Anyway, enjoy!

MikeCT

To paraphrase Mrs Beeton "First catch your Squirrel"

you beat me to it.
I wanted to know if they had to be dead first.
Des in freezing wet Dublin

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries