Old 18-03-2007, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] Usenet2007@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG is offline

Default Is 4 inches too deep for grass seed? (I've alreay planted them 4 inches)

In article 1,
"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" says...
FragileWarrior
:

Grass seed is generally surface scattered and lightly raked to spread
it 'round. Yes, four inches is too deep. So is one inch. But, hey,
cheer up, if you plow grass under it seems to regrow up from under 10
inch thick upside down mud lumps so you might see something grow.

On the other hand, you might want to surface scatter some seed just to
increase your odds. Cover it lightly* with straw to protect it from
birds.

*not four inches

I have to seed the back lawn 2x a year due to heat and shade. I usually
aerate the lawn, water or do it right before it rains. Then I'll throw on
some starter fertilizer and top soil if needed and then spread the seed.
Water again and it usually does just fine.

"Water again"?

When I have over seeded, I have felt like a slave. Watering five
times a day. It helps to work from a home office. So I can
spend my lunch break on watering the @#&*! grass.

And it still doesn't look as nice as I want. I guess I gotta be
more disciplined.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/