Old 18-03-2007, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Minelli Family Minelli Family is offline

Default Systemic pest killers

"Bob Walsh" wrote in message
I recently had an infestation of mites. I talked to Jerry Fischer at
Orchids Ltd. and he said to use insecticidal soap three times three days
apart on all plants in the growing area. The problem seems greatly
diminished, if not gone.

I will spray all the plants before bringing them in next fall.

Others have said just spraying mites with water is effective.
I like the soap. I want them dead.

Regarding the inside insects, put 3 quarts of water in a gallon container,
add one pint of alcohol and
one pint of orange 409. Spray weekly.

I don't order online anymore after several disappointing experiences. Would
Home Depot carry Orange 409 and the soaps? I know they carry the usual
insecticides.

I was at an Orchid class recently and one of the speaker/vendors announced
that he had some plants with that he would no longer sell. He offered to
show all who wanted to see why. The plants were in clear plastic pots. He
had dropped one and when he picked it up and checked it for breakage he
noticed mealy bug larva on many of the roots. Sprays won't kill those.
unpotting, dipping and repotting will, but I wonder about the eggs.... Are
they laid topside or down around the roots as well?

I had cactus infested with root mealys about 10 years ago. I soaked them,
in their pots, in Malathion and covered them with a plastic sheet for 24
hours to hold the fumes in. I did this a week apart for several weeks. It
got them all. But now they may be resistant to Malathion. I believe the
eggs are laid in the soil around the roots.